When to choose Acrylic
When to choose Acrylic?
Photographs that work on Metal will work on Acrylic… Why?
Because both Mediums lend themselves to images with similar attributes. Such as Vibrant Colours & Deep Contrast. This makes Choosing a medium for printing your photos even more tough, but acrylic is almost certain to give you some truly vibrant results. Let’s take a look at what kinds of pictures look best in acrylic, as well as the environments that really suit this unique printing method.
Characteristics of an Acrylic Print
- Colours are Vivid
- Bright and Contrasty
- a 3 dimensional feel
Not every image suits acrylic. If you’re printing a photograph with colours that span to the edges of the printable colour range, I’d definitely recommend it. It will reproduce the colours to their greatest effect. The Acrylic can increase the contrast and depth to give the image a “pop” or three dimensional feel, this is especially true on a ¼ thickness.
One more factor you should consider is the range of textures contained by the photo. Acrylic is great for accentuating contrast and colour while maintaining a smooth facade. Remember You can use Black and White Images for Acrylic, BUT the image must be BOLD and have a STRONG Contrast.
Fun Fact : Canvas, can only reproduce two-thirds of the colours that acrylic can
- Classy (Sleek)
- Long Lasting
- Cost $$$
- Very Particular
- These prints serve as great accents for most
environments, but they’re particularly well-suited to modern-style homes. The
polished look of acrylic prints renders them perfect for this type of
environment and look like pictures printed on glass, and less suited to a
quainter or more old-fashioned place. Modern homes allow for statement pieces
that draw attention, something that a bold acrylic print is bound to do.
- A Built-in frame so to speak, with many hanging options, Acrylic thicknesses and options to suite everybody’s homes. But once you print it, you can never change the image (Such a traditionally framed paper or canvas print)
Acrylic outer layer protects the artwork from the elements. Making the artwork,
humidity-resistant (Good for sea-side locations) and Light resistant (Especially
to UV rays). This means that the artwork can be hung in outdoor bars or patios,
BUT still try to eliminate as much direct sunlight on the work as possible.
- Just like in a museum, you don’t want to mount an
acrylic print directly opposite a bright window or even under harsh lights, as
the reflections and glare will destroy the viewing experience.
- The cost is worth it, IF you have the correct space
and image for it. It is much pricier then Metal, Canvas, and even Framed Paper
Prints but it has its own place in the line-up.
- It screams for attention and it can’t be stated
enough, this medium is made for specific images and specific spaces. Its more made
for modern homes and apartments.
What kind of photographs work on Acrylic?
As a general guideline, Images with lots of contrast & vibrant colours. Such as,
- Seascapes – The shades of blue in the sky and ocean look so pleasing to the eye. There is so much detail in the waves that it feels like you could touch and feel the water with your hands. ·
- Landscapes – Landscapes are naturally abundant with vivid colour. That’s why many landscape photographers choose metal for their galleries. Fall foliage look unbelievable on metal. Head-turning yellow leaves of the Colorado Aspens are a must see on metal. ·
- Sunsets – Want to see a sunset ignite your wall? The rich warm colours of sunsets come alive on metal prints. The spectrum of colours between yellow and red pop with so much intensity. ·
- Black & White – What?! Yes, black and white photos! They look great on metal. You’re thinking, “You just told me to choose images with bold colours. Why are you contradicting yourself?” Truth is... the blacks are so much deeper than any traditional print. Black and white photographers are always looking for contrast to get that great “pop” in their images.
Caring for your Acrylic Print
Your Acrylic Print should only need occasional gentle dusting with a non-abrasive cloth. To remove any dirt or streaks, use a small amount of mild soap with water and rub gently with a clean, soft cloth. Follow up with a clean, damp cloth and dry by blotting with a soft cloth. Never use any products that contain ammonia or alcohol as they will damage the acrylic. Novus #1 Cleaner can be used for cleaning acrylic to a beautiful glossy shine.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not use paper towels or other rough materials on acrylic. Never get the back of your Acrylic Print wet.
No matter how sure you are that a shot you’ve taken is perfect for display, picking a medium to print your photo on is no small decision. It has a huge impact on how the picture is perceived and how it affects the ambiance of a room. Acrylic will look incredible in any modern, clean-lined home. The artwork will jump off the wall and become a conversation piece with every guest.